Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The fear of fairness

I had realized pretty early in my life that the World is not fair. It was in sixth standard and my friend was sad that she worked hard for a test and did not get good marks and she said it's not fair and that 'we' had worked hard for it.I did not very good marks either and nodded along, but in my heart I knew that she was correct and I had in fact not worked so hard for the test. What she said got me thinking and I knew she was right and the World is not fair but it generally worked in my favor or so I thought.


Today our marks for a sem were declared and it has been brought up that the marking was unfair. Our class was given way too less marks than the other section of the same branch. Many students have decided to approach the authorities for re evaluation.

There were a number of things that crossed my mind

What if my marks reduce further

What if the teachers get enraged and give us bad marks in the future

What if the companies who come to the campus do not place us fearing we will report them in a similar manner


I was astounded by the corruptness of my thoughts

I did not want the World or the System to be fair. I just wanted more marks.


Anyone who is reading this has an internet connection and can understand english placing him/her above the poverty line. There are people below it. The World is not fair. You know it. But do we want it to be fair?


I don't have a clear conscience to fight. Should I?

13 comments:

  1. ohh damn.... just struck a chord i never wanted to be struck....the last sentence .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're just preparing you for the worse. The world out there is a mess, unfair on a much larger scale.
    get it rechecked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would want to have the world, (or rather call it the situations) fair,and if unfair, then biased on my side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. of course to sahi hai... but should that hurt my conscience?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does it? I don't think we want the World to be fair. We (read I) always support the underdogs even if the favorites have slogged their way to success. And very frankly, I believe a fair World would be a boring World. It will wipe out all type of humility.
    On the other hand I think that hard work is always rewarded in some way. It is only a matter of time. Some people just get an easy pass to success it just keeps the fun element in the game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1) If you could tell me what, according to you, 'fair' means.

    2)Are hard work, and intelligence the only criteria to define what somebody deserves? (if the word 'deserve' has some meaning)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1) success directly proportional to input
    2) in an ideal World only hard work

    which would make it boring for everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ideal world?

    /*and just quoting what munna bhaiya said, if you have heard of vidyamandir,
    "Agar saare log ameer ho gaye to riksha kaun chalayega!" */

    ReplyDelete
  9. off topic..yeh to galat keh rahe hai..rickshaw wale gareeb demand supply ki wajah se hote hai.. agar sab ameer ho gaye to rickshaw walo ki demand badh jayegi.. koi 20,000 rupay dega ek side ke to kaafi log rickshaw chalana chahenge.

    And wanting that someone should be deprived of an opportunity just because you cannot walk a small distance on foot is plain wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ye bhi sahi hai.. thats why less servants in developed countries.. or rather expensive servants...

    and are we depriving opportunity or providing it? Both riksha wala and I are satisfied.. whats the problem?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol..I am not saying Rickshaw walo ko paise dena band kar do.. I am talking about your Sir saying that not everyone can be allowed to grow rich (if he meant that).
    Matlab kisi ka bura nahi chahna chahiye.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If everybody gets rich, then I'll have to give loads of money to travel by a rickshaw, so wouldn't I want that it remains like this only?

    Obviously a rikshawala will want to get richer and I wont try to stop him...

    and I couldn't understand ur last sentence.

    ReplyDelete